The Alaska Native Epidemiology Center offers training workshops to build skills in core public health competencies. We also organize and sponsor public health conferences in Alaska. We provide experiential learning opportunities for students through internships, practicum placements, and mentorship opportunities.
Upcoming Training & Conferences
May 15-16, 2018
This workshop is intended to build skills on the use of stories for evaluation. Participants will gain skills in gathering stories, developing and editing stories for maximum effectiveness, and presenting stories in a defensible manner suitable for evaluation purposes. General registration begins April 1, 2018.
May 17, 2018
After an overview of the principles of qualitative analysis, attention will be placed on how to code, sort, and arrange data using the constant comparative method. Participants will actually practice data analysis in small teams using the constant comparative method. General registration begins April 1, 2018.
September 26-28, 2018
The biennial conference provides opportunities to learn about new and emerging issues in maternal and child health and immunization in Alaska. Rural and urban Alaska health professionals come together to learn about best practices and much more.
Conference to take place at the Hilton Anchorage.
Abstracts are due April 13, 2018.
The EpiCenter runs several training workshops each year. Past topics have included program evaluation, grants management, health literacy, and many more. We provide scholarships to Alaska Native professionals and students to help build capacity in the Alaska Tribal Health System.
Materials from past conferences can be found here:
External Resources & Opportunities
- UAA Department of Health Sciences
- Della Keats Health Sciences Summer Program
- ANTHC Scholarship Program
- Indian Health Service (IHS) Scholarship Program
- CDC Public Health Associate Program
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- Council of State & Territorial Epidemiologists Applied Epidemiology Fellowship
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Internship Program
- University of Michigan Future Public Health Leaders Program
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science & Education (ORISE) Internships, Scholarships & Fellowships
- Columbia University Summer Public Health Scholars Program
- Summer Research Training Institute for AI/AN Health Professionals
- Northwest Center for Public Health Practice
- CDC Health Literacy Training
- Alaska Health Summit
- Alaska Tribal Conference on Environmental Management
- Alaska’s Rural Health Conference
- CityMatCH Leadership & MCH Epidemiology Conference
- National Tribal Health Conference
- American Public Health Association Annual Meeting
- Job listings at ANTHC
- Job listings at TEC
- Careers at Alaska Health & Social Services
- American Public Health Association CareerMart