The Alaska Native Epidemiology Center offers training workshops to build skills in core public health competencies. We also organize and sponsor public health conferences in Alaska. We provide experiential learning opportunities for students through internships, practicum placements, and mentorship opportunities.
Upcoming Training & Conferences
August 1-3, 2018
This course provides participants with the skills to successfully manage federal grants for both compliance and results. Participants develop a working knowledge of issues that affect day-today operations and management of federal grants.
August 6-8, 2018
This 2.5 day workshop will improve participant grant writing skills. Participants will learn principles of technical writing, and practice strategies to effectively convey information to funders through strong grant applications.
August 21-22, 2018
Learn to inspire and influence others. Through interactive discussions and activities, participants will practice techniques for building professional relationships and networks, overcoming challenges, and sharing ideas persuasively.
September 26-28, 2018
The biennial conference provides opportunities to learn about new and emerging issues in maternal and child health and immunization in Alaska. Rural and urban Alaska health professionals come together to learn about best practices and much more. Conference to take place at the Hilton Anchorage.
The EpiCenter runs several training workshops each year. Past topics have included program evaluation, grants management, health literacy, and many more. We provide scholarships to Alaska Native professionals and students to help build capacity in the Alaska Tribal Health System.
Materials from past conferences can be found here:
External Resources & Opportunities
- UAA Department of Health Sciences
- Della Keats Health Sciences Summer Program
- ANTHC Scholarship Program
- Indian Health Service (IHS) Scholarship Program
- CDC Public Health Associate Program
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- Council of State & Territorial Epidemiologists Applied Epidemiology Fellowship
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Internship Program
- University of Michigan Future Public Health Leaders Program
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science & Education (ORISE) Internships, Scholarships & Fellowships
- Columbia University Summer Public Health Scholars Program
- Summer Research Training Institute for AI/AN Health Professionals
- Northwest Center for Public Health Practice
- CDC Health Literacy Training
- Alaska Health Summit
- Alaska Tribal Conference on Environmental Management
- Alaska’s Rural Health Conference
- CityMatCH Leadership & MCH Epidemiology Conference
- National Tribal Health Conference
- American Public Health Association Annual Meeting
- Job listings at ANTHC
- Job listings at TEC
- Careers at Alaska Health & Social Services
- American Public Health Association CareerMart