The Alaska Native Epidemiology Center offers training workshops to build skills in core public health competencies. We also organize and sponsor public health conferences in Alaska. We provide experiential learning opportunities for students through internships, practicum placements, and mentorship opportunities.
Upcoming Training & Conferences
February 6-7, 2018
Students will learn to apply elemental basics of project management to their work and create action plans for on-the-job application.
September 26-28, 2018
The biennial conference provides opportunities to learn about new and emerging issues in maternal and child health and immunization in Alaska. Presenters include national and Alaska leaders and experts.
The EpiCenter runs several training workshops each year. Past topics have included program evaluation, grants management, health literacy, and many more. We provide scholarships to Alaska Native professionals and students to help build capacity in the Alaska Tribal Health System.
Materials from past conferences can be found here:
External Resources & Opportunities
- UAA Department of Health Sciences
- Della Keats Health Sciences Summer Program
- ANTHC Scholarship Program
- Indian Health Service (IHS) Scholarship Program
- CDC Public Health Associate Program
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- Council of State & Territorial Epidemiologists Applied Epidemiology Fellowship
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Internship Program
- University of Michigan Future Public Health Leaders Program
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science & Education (ORISE) Internships, Scholarships & Fellowships
- Columbia University Summer Public Health Scholars Program
- Summer Research Training Institute for AI/AN Health Professionals
- Northwest Center for Public Health Practice
- CDC Health Literacy Training
- Job listings at ANTHC
- Job listings at TEC
- Careers at Alaska Health & Social Services
- American Public Health Association CareerMart