The Alaska Native Epidemiology Center offers training workshops to build skills in core public health competencies. We also organize and sponsor public health conferences in Alaska. We provide experiential learning opportunities for students through internships, practicum placements, and mentorship opportunities.
Training & Conferences
Dec 10-12, 2019
Learn to increase your understanding of the components and requirements of grant applications, review principles of technical writing, practice strategies to relay information in grant applications, and more. Training located in Nome.
This 25 minute video will share information on how to respectfully conduct a community health assessment in Alaska Native communities, including building relationships, planning the assessment, analyzing the information collected, and using assessment results to strategize changes to improve community health.
The biennial conference provides opportunities to learn about new and emerging issues in maternal and child health and immunization in Alaska. Rural and urban Alaska health professionals come together to learn about best practices and much more. Past conference presentations are archived on the website.
The EpiCenter runs several training workshops each year. Past topics have included program evaluation, grants management, health literacy, and many more. We provide scholarships to Alaska Native professionals and students to help build capacity in the Alaska Tribal Health System.
Materials from past conferences can be found here:
External Resources & Opportunities
- UAA Department of Health Sciences
- Della Keats Health Sciences Summer Program
- ANTHC Scholarship Program
- Indian Health Service (IHS) Scholarship Program
- CDC Public Health Associate Program
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- Council of State & Territorial Epidemiologists Applied Epidemiology Fellowship
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Internship Program
- University of Michigan Future Public Health Leaders Program
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science & Education (ORISE) Internships, Scholarships & Fellowships
- Columbia University Summer Public Health Scholars Program
- Alaska Health Summit
- Alaska Tribal Conference on Environmental Management
- National Tribal Health Conference
- American Public Health Association Annual Meeting
- Job listings at ANTHC
- Job listings at TEC
- Careers at Alaska Health & Social Services
- American Public Health Association CareerMart